Thursday, January 9, 2014

Strange World, Strange World

Such a strange strange world.

Used to look out the back window at love.
Hands pressed up against the glass
Young eyes never realized the travesty of it all
I could lose myself in the habit of holding onto freedom
I write with nostalgic tendencies

I used to run through long fields
Blades of grass towered over me
Small hands can only grasp so much
I would look up at the roots and wonder why
I would dream of bigger things
Trying to get my footing while my toes dangled off the edge
Riding an ant.
Just that, riding an ant.

Carelessness causing catastrophic collisons
As a youth it was light the pipe and fuck my mother
As a man it's fight the pipe and love my mother
A face once hidden by shadows now illuminates itself
And I see the lines
I see the passage of time in his face
And I struggle between past hate and growing old
Trying to let go of those feelings like a weight
On my shoulders cause at least now he's showing up
And at least now we've got time to kill waiting for the bill

Strange world, strange world
Left wondering why I exposed myself in such a way
Similar to her and those bright lights
A dream left somewhere pushed far back into the mind
A hungry blank stare and it aint fair
Society says be a winner
Get thinner
Get good grades
Puke up your chicken dinner
Eyes craving just more
more more more

Lets go back to the corner store
Where I braved a kiss and the whole world was at our fingertips
Small hands can only grasp so much
You were my girlfriend and we were going to have it all
Aint ashamed to say I had dreams of the aisle and moms tears
Papa finally proud and all the clapping and laughter and tight embraces
Friendly faces...

I'm standing in the bookstore line
You're right behind me
With nothing to say
So today I write it out
Strange world, strange world





-dev


 

No comments: