Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Blackstar's "Respiration" ft Common



My god I love this track. It never gets old. And today I was thinking of it while riding the bus. Especially Common's verse:

"Some days I take the bus home, just to touch home"

I mean, the bus is a plethora of scents. Including stale booze, body odour and a little too much cologne. But damn, are these not my people? Maybe it's the way we all bump and bob to the bumpy Winnipeg roads. Subject to the confine of the commute. But I feel connected with these folks. I figure at some point i'll bow to the pressure of society and purchase a vehicle. Will I lose a sense of connection?

Often this idea comes to me in a different form. I used to to a lot of skateboarding and when you skateboard you are at street level. There is just a different vibe that comes from pushing yourself around on a bumpy skateboard. Subject to all sorts of things including bumps, bobs, rocks, muggings, smiles, fresh air and the list goes on and on. I used to think "I'm at street level, I see different things this way"

"Some days I take the bus home, just to touch home" 

To touch home. To connect. Do we care? As we honk and holler and blindly swerve into opposing lanes..are we connected? It certainly is a world away from holding bus doors open, helping people across the street, and let's not forget that random smile that random conversation.

On a side note this song is one of those songs that I cannot exactly give credit to one artist for. Sure the official title is Blackstar ft Common. But each artist (mos def, talib kweli and common) all bring a unique sense of story to the song. It's impossible for me to give credit to any single person. Although i'm slightly biased towards Common on this one.

-Dev


No comments: