Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Poetry Dump

 I'm in the process of making a new webpage. I'll just be dumping creative writing on this page from now on. I mean, that's all it is anyways. This is just stuff scribbled on notepads and napkins. 

I sit and enjoy crime docs
Safe from homicides within blocks
I'd never step on.
Vaccine or not...
Those areas infected
Violence expected and accepted
All too often
       heat filled streets
Give birth to bloody tees and dope laced beats

Secluded in the suburbs I could ignore
The ugly and the poor
Hating the police
We'd have the luxury
To emulate that hate
Far from the words in our favorite songs
We got the warnings
Emptied bags and smashed bongs

Second chances... I must reflect
On the words to become a better man
Only through the prose will be my salvation
I grow older and become thankful
Of those who cupped their hands around my dying light
And offer my own candle to a roadside memorial on a cold winter night

Approximately 10-12 volunteers work in the JHS literacy program. We take new volunteers two or three times per year. If you are interested in volunteering, you can contact us at 204.775.1514.

Damn.
Little homie has to be only fifteen
Shaky hands with a can of mace in my face
I'm getting robbed for a king can
Just so the kid can feel like a king man
If only for a night
Tough times got me debating between guaranteed safety and a fight
Foolishly I held my ground
Truth be told he got one can and I got the other
Sip that one slow brother
What's up with this summer?

I know a couple Isabels
One's a little heart beat
The others a violence covered street



Back in St James the privilege was easy to see
We'd ride around in caddies and town cars
Stuffed with baggies and scales
Was there any less harm to those sales?
Fitted caps passing around pressed together caps
We played as CJ with no entrance into the CJ system
I have a homie I owe an apology to
Cause I watched him go through an unfair probation
Had to be home by nine just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time
Writing the same tests but he was drug tested
Smoking the same spliff but he peed in a cup
No justice in the courts
Just grand gestures by overpaid jesters
So the bitterness in his heart festers
"Fuck it" he said
"I'll fit the frame"
One day his eyes changed. A gun hidden in his hoodie.
Nothing was the same.
dtr.

 




No comments: